So this post is late, as I was on
deployment from Alaska to North Carolina to provide more nursing
hands in Red Cross Shelters after Hurricane Florence. I was reading
the class readings on immersion virtual reality on the plane(s) on
the way back. As I was reading found myself wondering a lot of
things, but mostly would something like the immersion virtual reality
help in training new shelter managers as we had found out Red Cross
had had to use some folks who had never assisted in running a shelter
as lead managers. Maybe something like immersion virtual reality
would help in training, as books don't convey for many very well the
chaos and non-ideal spaces that often need to be used to house folks
after a disaster. But as I read Yap's article 'Google Cardboard for
a K-12 Social Studies Module”, his mention of the View Master slide
viewer as a precursor to the current immersive virtual reality
devices, I wondered about other things. I grew up with a View
Master, it is still the only way I have 'seen' Yellow Stone's Old
Faithful going spouting. It set me to wondering, the new version of
virtual reality being described allow the viewer to choose the angle
and distance for viewing, and block out viewing of things in the
'real' reality. But like the View Master, don't immerse one in the
virtual reality, in that sound, smell, touch and taste are still not
included in the virtual reality. However they do give more depth to
the visual part of the virtual reality. I can definitely see how
they could help in the visual examples of exploring a zoo of animals
or relational physics. Or visiting the La Lourve or Le Hermitage
museums. Though having been to the last, missing out on sound would
be missing part of the experience. On the other hand, visiting the
caves in South Africa where the oldest hominid skeletons have been
found, might be more profound in the new immersive virtual reality,
as the program developer might be able to get permission to watch and
actual dig or go back into the closed off parts of the cave where
current work is being done and filming the skeletons in situ as they
are being found, which a regular visitor couldn't do. All of which
lead me to believe that for now immersive virtual reality is useful mostly for visual places that students can't get to, and probably not for training shelter managers, as a lot of the that learning
would require the other five senses to 'see' the reality that you are
trying to impart to the students as part of their learning.
Image – from
https://www.flickr.com/photos/afagen/7127074889,
accessed Oct 08, 2018, tagged in Google images as 'free to use or
share'.

No comments:
Post a Comment